Understanding and tackling effects of isolation and confinement in kids


Roughly 3 months and 10 days into the lock-down period I came across an unusual case in a young athlete. In the middle of a morning online workout session, she blurted, "I can't breathe". My first instinct was that I must have heard it wrong. I asked her to repeat what she said about 2-3 times. And when I could finally convince myself that my network connection was not jumbling up words, I looked at her. She looked fine. A little tense. But with no signs of suffocation or any kind of struggle.
tight chest muscles, shortness of breath, rigid stomach, racing mind-symptoms of anxiety or panic attack
My mind raced through my First Aid Training. I brought back the images of the breathing apparatus that exists in human bodies. Analysed the situation for discrepancies and abnormalities that would help showcase the problem. I immediately started blurting out instructions and asked her to perform different breathing and stretching movements to soften the breath while trying to figure out what was so odd about this situation. Symptoms -difficulty breathing, tight chest muscles, tight abdomen muscles, chest breathing, rigid stomach. Tried solutions to it all. She wasn't feeling better. My mind raced to check on the closeness of my phone,ensure availability of the athlete's house number on my phone, mentally walked through the emergency procedures in case things went downhill all too suddenly.
Nothing was working. It was about 3-4 minutes now. Chest muscles were still too tight. Stomach and diaphragm not relaxing. Tense look on face. No sign of physical distress. At this point I made a prognosis and it all suddenly became quite clear.
It was a panic attack.
A panic attack feels a little like heart attack, except it's not lethal and it won't kill you even though you might feel like it. Tight chest muscles, shortness of breath or hyperventilating, racing mind, sudden burst of worrying- they are some symptoms of a panic attack.
Once I was certain at what I was looking at, I asked the young athlete to find a paper or polythene bag and start breathing into it. She did so but the attack continued. In the rush of the situation I failed to recognise the fact that a panic attack can last a few minutes. Fortunately I stopped rushing myself and waited till my wits were back.

I then asked her to sit in fetal position which we normally observe when trying to release emotional stress. I made sure I kept talking to her and made her feel visible. Asking her to log off from the meeting and sit alone during such an attack might have caused her to develop certain fears or phobias. Once I felt she was starting to calm down I talked to her about her school work, her schedule for the following day and encouraged her to keep herself occupied through the day. Getting her mind deviated into other things finally showed some positive results. I promised to call her back in half an hour to check on her,then asked her to log off and take a walk. I did call back a while later and she assured me that sitting in the balcony helped her feel better.


Such a situation have long been expected. It is a result of the continued isolation and confinement that the young, growing minds have been subjected to. It is understandable that this move was undertaken to help the society. But it was a narrow minded and short sighted move with no regard to future consequences.
We have been describing our world as a very fast paced one, at least until the pandemic started. What do you reckon would happen if a fast moving train was slammed into a stop?

It is time we take note of the possible consequences of isolation and confinement, and allow ourselves to feed on the only thing our bodies identify as familiar substance - nature. It is necessary that we get out into the open for at least 15 minutes, lest we should turn into zombies that fear stepping into the light.

What the world feels like during a panic attack
What the world feels like during a panic attack

If such situations come by again, at least a few of us in the society need to know how to deal with it. There are certain things that you must absolutely not say to a person suffering a panic or anxiety attack, and certain things that may help the person. Read ahead to understand panic attack as described by those studying medicine in a precise and detailed manner.

In medical terms a panic attack is a - "Sudden episode of intense fear or anxiety and physical symptoms, based on a perceived threat rather than imminent danger".

  • Sense of impending doom or danger
  • Fear of loss of control or death
  • Rapid, pounding heart rate
  • Sweating
  • Trembling or shaking
  • Shortness of breath or tightness in your throat
  • Chills
  • Hot flashes
  • Nausea
  • Abdominal cramping
  • Chest pain
  • Headache
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness or faintness
  • Numbness or tingling sensation
  • Feeling of unreality or detachment

If someone you know has a panic attack, he or she may become very anxious and not think clearly. You can help the person by doing the following:
  • Stay with the person and keep calm.
  • Offer medicine if the person usually takes it during an attack.
  • Don't make assumptions about what the person needs. Ask.
  • Speak to the person in short, simple sentences.
  • Be predictable. Avoid surprises.
  • Help slow the person's breathing by breathing with him or her or by counting slowly to 10.

  • "You can get through this."
  • "I am proud of you. Good job."
  • "Tell me what you need now."
  • "Concentrate on your breathing. Stay in the present."
  • "It's not the place that is bothering you; it's the thought."
  • "What you are feeling is scary, but it is not dangerous."
  • "Just calm down."
  • "You have nothing to be nervous about."
  • "I wouldn’t do that, you’re embarrassing yourself."
  • "You’re just overreacting."

"It's okay to not be okay"

Authored by Rahul Dagliya, CEO at Ardour Sports Academy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHY FAILURE BUILDS WINNERS

IF YOU WANT TO PERFORM, STOP "PERFORMING"